WHAT IS THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT?
Our Butterfly Effect is a set of facilities and services catered specially to passengers with hidden disabilities such as autism.
The Butterfly Effect is actually a theory depicting how a small change in one state can make a big difference at a later state. We believe that introducing autism friendly facilities is a start towards creating a better experience for our special guests.
Navigating through an airport can be a daunting experience for anyone, especially those with autism. As a Caring Host we want to ensure inclusivity where everyone can have a joyful experience at our airport.
HERE IS HOW YOU CAN ENJOY THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT FACILITIES AND SERVICES
- Click here to preregister before your visit and flight.
- Proceed to the Airport CARE InfoCentre located at Level 5, Main Terminal Building, KLIA or Airport Information Counter located at Level 3, klia2 when you are travelling and pick-up the Butterfly Kit. Please remember to bring either an OKU card or a letter from any hospital or GP stating the hidden disability condition when collecting your Butterfly Kit which also includes the Butterfly Lanyard.
- If you are an arriving passenger, please proceed to the Information Counter located near the Aerotrain stations at the Contact Pier to collect your Butterfly Kit.
- Wear the Butterfly Lanyard at all times while at the airport. This way, you will be given access to all the priority lanes at the security, immigration and customs checkpoints.
- You may keep your lanyard with you for your next visit to KLIA. However, please do register again at the Airport CARE InfoCentre each time you come.
ENJOY THE FACILITIES THAT WE SPECIALLY MADE AVAILABLE FOR YOU
There is a safe haven for you to calm and prepare yourself before the journey located at Level 5, Main Terminal Building, KLIA. Use the access code provided in your Butterfly Kit to enter the room. Parents are advised to accompany and supervise your child/charge in the calm room. Click here to view the locations of our Calm Room.
You will experience interactive sensory walls located at key touchpoints along your journey throughout KLIA. There are six sensory walls at KLIA Main Terminal and four at klia2 for you to enjoy. Click here to view the locations of our Sensory Walls.
YOUR TRAVELLING TIPS FOR A SEAMLESS JOURNEY
You can use the special drop off at the kerbside for added convenience.
Look out for this sign.
Make sure you have your passport, flight ticket, boarding pass, other identification and travelling documents with you at all times. You will be asked at different check-points to show these items.
The airport is a busy place, always stay close to your family or friends. There may be long queues at check-in counters, security, immigration and customs checkpoints before boarding the plane. Don’t worry, if you are wearing the Butterfly Lanyard, you will be given priority access.
At security checkpoints, you will be asked to remove any items in your pockets, remove your belt, shoes and place these items along with any carry-on bags through the security scanner machine. But don’t worry, you will get back the items right after they are scanned. Follow the instructions given, take your time and ask for assistance if required.
You will also have to go through a body scanner. A security personnel may also gently pat your body. This is just a safety measure to ensure everyone stays safe in the airport and on the plane.
You may enjoy the many shops, restaurants and other facilities before you board your flight. If you are an arriving passenger at KLIA
Do you know that we also have a Jungle Boardwalk in KLIA Main Terminal?
It’s a mini forest inside the airport!
WE ARE ALWAYS HAPPY TO HELP
If you require assistance at any time in the airport, do approach our friendly airport CARE Ambassadors. They are situated at the Information Counters and around the airport terminal. They are easily identifiable as they wear the ‘May I Help?’ sash.